An orthodontic emergency is rare, but when they occur our orthodontists are here to provide you emergency service. As a general rule, you should call your orthodontist's office when you experience severe pain or have a painful appliance problem.
In some cases, you may be able to solve many problems yourself until you can get to our office. Here are some ways to identify an issue with your dental appliances;
- When you get your braces on, you may feel general soreness in your mouth, and teeth may be tender to biting pressures for three to five days.
- This can be relieved by rinsing your mouth with a warm salt-water mouthwash. Dissolve one teaspoonful of salt in eight ounces of warm water, and rinse your mouth vigorously.
- Placing Orabase on the affected area may help; this can be found in a pharmacy. If the tenderness is severe, take aspirin or whatever you normally take for headache or similar pain.
- The lips, cheeks, and tongue may also become irritated for one to two weeks as they toughen and become accustomed to the surface of the braces. You can put wax on the braces to lessen this. We’ll show you how!
- Sometimes headgear discomfort is caused by not wearing the headgear as instructed by your orthodontist. Please refer to the instructions provided by your orthodontist.
- If the facebow is bent, please call our office for assistance. The headgear should hurt less the more it’s worn, so be sure you get in the prescribed number of hours.
- If your bracket or band is still attached to the wire, you should leave it in place and put wax on it.
- If the wire comes out entirely, wrap the bracket with a tissue.
- Using a pair of tweezers, try to put your wire back into place.
- If doing this and using wax doesn’t help, as a last resort use a small fingernail clipper to clip the wire behind the last tooth to which it is securely fastened.
- If your discomfort continues, place wax on it.
- Using a pencil eraser, push the poking wire down or place wax on it to alleviate the discomfort.
- If your appliance is poking you, place wax on the offending part.
After alleviating your discomfort, it is very important that you still call our office as soon as possible to schedule a time to repair the problem.
Allowing your appliance to remain damaged for an extended period of time may result in disruptions to your treatment plan.