Forgot your retainer instructions? Read our instructions sheet to learn more.
- Wear your removable retainer as instructed by your orthodontist
- Take your retainer out when eating, and ALWAYS put it back in its case! (most appliances are lost in school lunchrooms or restaurants). Also, pets love to chew on them if they are left out of the case
- Remove your retainer for swimming and active sports
- Clean the retainer thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors.
- Efferdent® Retainer or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing • Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and wrapping them in napkins • Retainers are breakable, so treat yours with care. If your retainer gets lost or broken, call us immediately
- Frequently check your permanent bonded wire(s) on the inside of your mouth to ensure that bonding pads are in tact; floss daily under the bonded wire(s) • Always bring your removable retainers to your appointments
- Retainer replacements are expensive, but with proper care they will last for years!