Invisalign Clear Aligners in Ontario
Invisalign clear aligners are available for teens and adults at Village Orthodontics. Our orthodontists in Southern Ontario can help you decide if aligners are right for you.
Healthier Smiles for Teens & Adults
Invisalign clear aligners can help teens and adults achieve straighter, healthier smiles – minus the brackets and wires that come with braces.
Whether you're looking into orthodontic treatment for your teen or yourself, Invisalign aligners may be an ideal orthodontic treatment option for teens and adults who'd like a lower profile option in terms of aesthetics.
Because of their clear plastic construction, Invisalign aligners provide a low profile look – a casual observer may not even notice you're wearing them at a glance! And because they're removable, they also make it easier to eat all of your favourite foods, and to brush, floss and maintain your oral health during every phase of your treatment.
Are you considering clear aligners to straighten your smile, but still have questions? Read through the answers to the FAQs below to learn more.
- What exactly is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment option that can straighten your teeth without metal braces. Instead, a series of removable orthodontic aligners, made from clear plastic, is used. Using 3D computer imaging technology, Invisalign can create a prognosis of your treatment plan, from the initial position of your teeth to the final desired position.
Based on this plan, your clear plastic aligners will be made to fit your teeth during each stage of your treatment process.
- How does Invisalign work?
At the outset of treatment, a series of clear plastic aligners are custom-made to fit your teeth. Each set of aligners in the series will move your teeth by small, prescribed increments until your teeth have shifted into the desired positions. Each aligner is worn for about two weeks before it is replaced by the next in the series. This continues until the final position of your teeth is reached. Your Invisalign treatment time will be determined by your doctor based on your specific needs.
- How long does Invisalign take?
The duration of tour treatment with Invisalign will depend on a number of factors. Mild cases of misalignment may only take a few months to correct, while more severe cases can take a year or more. Generally, Invisalign treatment time is comparable to that of braces.
- How often do I have to visit the orthodontist?
During the Invisalign process, your orthodontist will schedule appointments with you approximately every 10 - 12 weeks. Since Invisalign aligners don't need adjustments or tightening (you just change to a new set of aligners every other week instead), the appointments will be relatively brief.
When you visit us, your orthodontist will monitor your progress and general oral health, answer any questions you might have, and potentially make adjustments to your treatment as needed.
- What are Invisalign aligners made of?
Invisalign aligners are made with USP Class VI medical-grade, high molecular weight, polyurethane resins. They are BPA free.
- What are the benefits of Invisalign?
Invisalign aligners are...
- Made of low-profile, transparent plastic
- Not reliant on metal wires or brackets
- Self-managed; you'll change your aligners out at prescribed intervals yourself
- Busy schedule-friendly; no adjustment appointments needed, just the occasional checkup
- Removable for eating, brushing and flossing
- How will Invisalign fit my lifestyle?
Many of our patients find that Invisalign fits quite well into their daily lives! From a social perspective, because the aligners are low profile and transparent, friends and family may not even notice that you're undergoing orthodontic treatment unless you tell them.
And since you can take your aligners out, you can continue to comfortably eat all your favourite foods, and brush and floss just like usual.
- How much does Invisalign cost?
The cost of Invisalign treatment is calculated based on the severity of the case and the duration of treatment required. That being said, the cost of Invisalign is comparable to that of braces.
To get a better idea of how much your treatment will cost, talk to your orthodontist! They can give you an accurate estimate based on your unique needs.
- Can adults use Invisalign?
Yes, adults can absolutely use Invisalign. In fact, almost anyone who has healthy teeth and gums is a potential candidate. More and more adults are deciding to undergo orthodontic treatment with Invisalign these days, in large part because of its low-profile appearance and low time commitment.
- Can teenagers use Invisalign?
Yes, teenagers can definitely use Invisalign. In fact, did you know that Invisalign has actually created a range of aligners designed to meet the unique needs of teenagers?
- Are there any food or drink restrictions?
Invisalign aligners are removable, so you can take them out while you eat. For this reason, there are no real dietary restrictions when it comes to Invisalign, so you can continue to eat all the foods you love! That being said, you'll find that your teeth sometimes feel sore or sensitive during orthodontic treatment, so you'll want to keep that in mind.
Additionally, Invisalign aligners can stain, so make sure you take them out to drink things like wine, coffee, or dark pop.
- Can I play sports with Invisalign?
As with any orthodontic treatment, you can wear your Invisalign aligners while you play sports, as long as you're careful. If you'll only be playing for a short time, you can also just take them out for the game!
However, a sports mouth guard is a must if you want to play sports during orthodontic treatment to protect your teeth. Orthodontic treatment can cause your teeth to loosen slightly as they shift into their new positions, and this can make them more susceptible to damage.
- Can I play my instrument with Invisalign?
You sure can! Just remove your aligners while you play your instrument, and pop them back in when you're done. Of course, you can just keep them in if you're playing the piano!
- How many sets of aligners will I need?
The number of aligners required to treat your misalignment depends on its severity. Your dentist can give you an accurate estimate of how many aligners you'll need (and therefore how long treatment will take,) based on an evaluation of your bite during the initial consultation.
- How often do I have to change my aligners?
During standard Invisalign treatment, aligners are switched out every two weeks or so. Your orthodontist will tell you exactly how often you should switch out your aligners during your unique treatment process.
- How do I clean my aligners?
- Each time you take your aligners out, rinse them to remove any saliva and plaque
- Soak your aligners routinely with denture cleaner, Retainer Brite, and/or the official Invisalign cleaning crystals.
- Clean your aligners each day with anti-bacterial soap. This will keep your aligners clear, fresh, and free from harmful bacteria. Brush your aligners gently so as not to scratch them, and then rinse off the soap. Then you're done!
- Brush and floss before you put your aligners back in. Good oral hygiene is key to maintaining healthy teeth and avoiding cavities, especially during treatment with Invisalign.If you don't brush and floss, food debris and bacteria can get trapped between your teeth and aligner, increasing your risk of dental problems and bad breath.
- How do I store my aligners?
Store your Invisalign aligners in their case (after cleaning and drying them, of course) any time they're not safely in your mouth.
The Invisalign Process
Straightening your teeth doesn't need to be complicated. Here's what you can expect from Invisalign at Village Orthodontics.
Your Initial Consultation
At your first consultation, we'll determine if Invisalign is the right treatment for you.
Digital Smile Preview
Using our 3D scanner technology, we'll show you what your new smile may look like.
Personalized Treatment Plan
You manage the biweekly changing of your clear aligners at home – we'll just see you at key points in your treatment.