TMD Treatment & Solutions
Chronic facial and neck pain, including recurring headaches can be symptoms of temporomandibular disorder, also known as TMD. At Village Orthodontics, we offer treatment plans as well as prevention tips for TMD.
Your temporomandibular joints, or TMJs, connect your lower jawbone to your skull. These joints get a lot of use throughout the day as you speak, chew, swallow, and yawn. Pain in and around these joints can be unpleasant and may even restrict movement.
- Pain in the jaw area
- Pain, ringing, or stuffiness in the ears
- Frequent headaches or neck aches
- Clicking or popping sound when the jaw moves
- Muscle spasms in the jaw area
- A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
- Locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth
If you notice that you are experiencing any of these symptoms, let your doctor know at your next appointment.
Your doctor can help determine if you have TMD and create a customized treatment plan to help relieve your symptoms.
A few steps you can take to maintain a healthy, strong smile and prevent TMD
- Relax your face — “Lips together, teeth apart”
- Avoid grinding your teeth
- Avoid all gum chewing
- Don’t cradle the phone receiver between your head and shoulder — either use a headset or hold the receiver to your ear with your hand
- Chew food evenly on both sides of your mouth
- Do not sit with your chin resting on your hand
- Practice good posture — keep your head up, back straight, and shoulders squared